Saturday, July 25, 2009

#30 Blogathon 2009

Thunder is rumbling outside and lightning is flashing in the loft windows of my bedroom.
Ever since I was a kid I have loved a thunderstorm.

As a very young child, I was terrified of storms. I distinctly remember being scared out of my wits and crying to my mother about it when I was about four. She told me to go in my room, be very quiet and listen to the storm. I did just that, and was lulled by the rain and the thunder which by that time was growing more and more faint as the storm moved away from us. I fell asleep to this sound. And from that moment forward, I have always loved storms. Especially when I am in bed and can pull the covers around me and listen to the rain.

There is a saying that is attributed to the Buddha which states with our minds we make the world. This simply means that our perceptions create our reality. Things are neither bad nor good until we attribute one or the other quality to them. I believe this in a *logical* sense. But it is hard and bitter pill to swallow when I am depressed already and something occurs that complicates my life further. It is a downward spiral at times like this.

It's true that more positive thoughts will bring about a more positive outlook. Which comes first, the outlook chicken or the thought egg?

No comments:

Post a Comment