Saturday, July 25, 2009

#15 Blogathon 2009

"Where does one go from a world of insanity?
Somewhere on the other side of despair."
-T.S. Eliot
Family Reunion

Many of my formative years were spent qualifying my depression. Feeling like total crap was the rational response to a world gone mad. I still do this. Woe is me, for I am underemployed, broke, miserable, married to an alcoholic, hated by my family, whatever, ad nauseaum.

But what really exists is this.

Depression is not a respecter of socioeconomic class, race, gender, nationality, religion or sexual orientation. Depression doesn't care if you are about to be evicted or drive a new sports car.

Sometimes we are depressed and there is no rhyme nor reason to it. We can be sad and it does mean we are depressed. We can grieve and it does not mean we are depressed. And we can be in a deep, dark pit when the sun shines brightly in our eyes.

Telling us the sun is shining does not make it go away. We don't give a rat's ass about the sun when we cannot feel the light of day. We cannot snap out of it. We cannot cheer up. We can not think about something else.

We can get better. We can survive.

Look to Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance to learn more about how to support us. And to support me in my effort to raise money for DBSA, visit Blogathon 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment